Ladder & Step Ladder Inspection Training
All ladders should be inspected before starting a task, and repeated every time something changes – like the ladder being moved to a different area. But did you know that employers & the self-employed have a legal duty under the Work at Height Regulations 2005 (Regulation 12) to undertake formal inspection of work equipment, including ladders and step ladders, at suitable intervals and each time “exceptional circumstances” have occurred, as well as after being set up?
These formal inspections (for condition, wear, damage, etc,) must be undertaken by a competent person and result in a report that is then kept for a minimum period of time.
Inspection of work equipment, such as ladders & step ladders, is something that you need to be suitably trained to undertake. In our opinion, doing this sort of training online frankly isn’t sufficient. What you need is hands-on practice and face-to-face guidance, to be able to undertake inspection of ladders & step ladders competently.
Our highly practical ladder & step ladder inspection course will give you the training and confidence to inspect a variety of steps and ladders safely, whether they’re a couple of rungs high to several metres tall.
Course syllabus includes:
- Types & nomenclature of ladders & steps
- Why training is important
- Summary of the Law in relation to Ladders and Steps, including;
- Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
- The Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations
- Construction (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations, Schedule 5
- Work at Height Regulations, Schedule 7
- Ladder classifications, British Standards & EN Standards
- Safe handling techniques
- Setting up, visual, functional & tactile checks
- Asset registers, Formal ladder inspections & Maintenance
- Face to Face training (maximum of 8 learners to 1 instructor).
- Ladder & Steps Inspector Training
- You will receive an A4 sized PDF certificate issued by Chris Garland Training that is valid for 3 years.
- 4 guided learning hours.
- Typically 09:00-13:00hrs & 13:30-17:30. Please note the exact times for your course booking.
- Multiple-Choice Question paper:
- You need to score a minimum of 70% correct answers to achieve a pass.
- Practical assessment:
- You’ll undertake an inspection of a set of ladders and steps. This is assessed by your instructor.
- Candidates should be at least 18 years old to undertake this qualification.
- We recommend that you have a minimum of GCSE grade C/Level 2 literacy and numeracy (or equivalent) before undertaking this course. This is not mandatory – please contact us to discuss any reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details. There is no minimum for a private course.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and where applicable by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor. Should you have more than 12 candidates that need to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present to comply with this restriction.
- This ladder & step ladder inspection training course is available to candidates throughout the UK.
- The course can be delivered in other countries however candidates should be aware that the content was developed in accordance with current UK practice.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Why not arrange to have a private courses run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- All candidates are to bring their own:
- clean hi-viz
- hard hat (not bump cap)
- work gloves
- steel toe-capped safety footwear
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- Where your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions including the venue address.