Critical Injury Responder Course (8 hours)
Our Critical Injury Responder course is ideal for those working in the UK or abroad in high risk or hostile environments, such as security staff, arborists, construction & forestry workers, expedition leaders and companies who feel their staff would benefit from this type of training. It’s also a perfect CPD course for existing first aid instructors, complimenting the new BS8599-1:2019 compliant Critical Injury First Aid kits which are now standard across the UK. You may not have seen or heard of these kits before, but trust me, they’re already out there, in hundreds of venues across the UK, wherever large number of people gather.
The information in this course is based on the latest Position & Consensus Statements from bodies such as the Faculty of Pre-hospital Care, The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Recent changes made to first aid training syllabus requirements have lead to the reintroduction in teaching the use of tourniquets and haemostatic agents in some first aid courses. This has been reinforced with the introduction of British Standard BS8599-1:2019, which you can read more about HERE. You do not need to have attended a first aid course to attend this course, but it will significantly develop your knowledge and understand if you have been on one in the past. At the end of the course, you’ll understand & potentially be able to administer lifesaving treatment to those injured in traumatic incidents, before the arrival of the emergency services.
This is a very hands-on course, during which you will get several hours of practical experience. By its very nature, this course covers topics which some might find distasteful or disturbing including catastrophic bleeds.
Course syllabus includes:
- The vascular system & blood volumes
- The primary casualty survey
- Pathophysiology of blood clotting
- The lethal triad of trauma
- The BS8599-1:2019 Critical Injury first aid kit
- Initial treatment when dealing with critical injuries including;
- Acid/Alkali attacks
- Catastrophic bleeds
- Traumatic amputation
- Knife attacks & stab wounds
- Blast & ballistic wounds
- Traumatic cardiac arrest
- Learn how to apply;
- Chest seals
- Haemostatic Dressings
- Wound packing
- Effective communication & handover to emergency services
- Critical Injury Responder Course, certified by Chris Garland Training
- A4 sized pdf certificates are issued.
- 8 guided learning hours, plus breaks
- Generally we run these courses from 9am-6pm.
- Practical assessments throughout the course.
- Candidates must be over 18.
- You do not need to have undertaken any formal first aid training to attend this course, but it will be an advantage if you have.
- Attendees will be required to demonstrate first aid procedures as they would in a real activity environment. This includes providing first aid to a casualty who is on the floor, therefore you must be physically capable of doing so.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We limit the number of candidates on this course to a maximum of 10. Should you have more than 10 candidates to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course.
- This course is available to candidates across the UK. The course can be delivered in other countries; however, candidates should be aware that the protocols meet current UK guidelines.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Why not arrange to have a private courses run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- Where your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions including the venue address.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.