CPR/AED and Medical Emergencies For Dental Professionals
The GDC recommend that all dentists and dental care professionals do at least two hours of verifiable CPD in dealing with medical emergencies each year. The GDC recommend that at least 10 hours of CPD in three core areas is undertaken in each CPD cycle. Our 2-hour online e-learning “CPR/AED and Medical Emergency Training – Dental Professionals” course is CPD accredited with verifiable 2 CPD points.
The course enables dental clinicians including dentists, dental nurses and hygienists to develop their professional knowledge. You will gain an understanding and competence in medical emergencies, in line with your identified personal learning requirements.
The GDC state that:
“A patient could collapse on any premises at any time, whether they have received treatment or not. It is therefore essential that all registrants must be trained in dealing with medical emergencies, including resuscitation, and possess up to date evidence of capability.”
To comply with this, you should also attend our 3-hour basic life support course. Many people undertake this course for their own personal achievement, while others use the qualification to support their role within a workplace. Examples of these are clinical and non-clinical staff working in a GP or physiotherapy practice, who complete the course as part of their annual CPD (continual professional development).
The 2 hour CPR/AED and Medical Emergency Training – Dental Professionals course syllabus includes the following;
- Recognising and responding to a range of medical emergencies including:
- cardiac arrest
- myocardial infarction
- The use of emergency equipment and drugs in line with Resuscitation Council (UK) and BNF guidelines
- The importance of teamwork in the ABCDE Approach to managing medical emergencies
- Planning ahead in order to minimise the risks of a medical emergency for individual patients.
- This online course can be completed on any PC or mobile device.
- Study at your own pace and log in and out as often as you wish.
- Allows you to work at your own pace, testing your knowledge as you progress through the course.
- You undertake self-assessment checks as your progress through the online training. There is an end of course multiple choice assessment that you also need to complete.
- NOTE: This online course does not include “live” manikin training for CPR and use of the AED. To comply with Resuscitation Council (UK) guidelines you then need to attend an annual practical assessment. The Basic Life Support (Adults and Children) course certificate is valid for one year.
- On successful completion of the CPR/AED and Medical Emergency Training – Dental Professionals course, you can download your certificate. The certificate can be used as verifiable CPD in line with GDC Enhanced CPD guidelines.
- The course is certified by The CPD Group and listed on the CPD Register, course number: 1005219.
- Verifiable CPD points: 2
- Approximately 2 hours, but you can spend as little or as much time on each subject as you wish, and go forward or back through the course at any time.
- You should be a clinical staff member within a dental practice for the course to be suitable for your needs.
- See our Joining Instructions for details of recommended computer equipment/tablets/phones to access this course.
- This online course can be accessed worldwide.
- However you should be aware that the content was developed in accordance with current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- General Dental Council – Information, Standards & Guidance – Medical Emergencies
- Resuscitation Council UK – Quality Standards: Primary Dental Care