Ladder and Step Ladder User Safety Training
Did you know that ladder user safety training is a legal requirement? If your job role includes, or there is the possibility that it may include, the use of ladders or step ladders. Your employer has a legal duty to ensure that you’re suitably trained to use those steps or ladders. In our opinion, undertaking an online ladder safety training course frankly isn’t sufficient. What you need is hands-on practice and face-to-face guidance, to be able to use steps and ladders safely.
Our ladder and step ladder user safety training course runs you through a typical day using ladders;
- Your manager gives you a task to complete, so you assess the task & likely hazards, having appreciation for the legislation.
- You select an appropriate ladder or step ladder from the stores, before loading them ready for transport to the site, knowing about vehicle overhangs & when signage is required.
- At the site, you speak to the client about the job, any affected access routes & set up your safety barriers.
- Having given you ladders a pre-use check, you set them up & secure them, before starting to climb.
- You climb the ladders in a way that doesn’t induce any bounce or wobble, working from the ladders so you don’t over-reach or make the ladders slide, twist or topple over.
This course will give you the training & confidence to use a variety of steps and ladders safely, whether they’re a couple of rungs high to several metres tall.
Course syllabus includes:
- Types & nomenclature of ladders & steps
- Summary of the Law in relation to Ladders and Steps, including;
- Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
- The Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations
- Construction (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations, Schedule 5
- Work at Height Regulations, Schedule 7
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Ladder classifications
- STEP Risk Assessments
- Safe handling techniques
- Pre-use inspections, transport & storage
- Setting up, securing, ascending & descending ladders & steps
- Working from ladders & steps
- Face to Face training (maximum of 8 learners to 1 instructor).
- Ladder & Steps User Training
- You will receive an A4 sized PDF certificate issued by Chris Garland Training that is valid for 3 years.
- 4 guided learning hours.
- Typically 09:00-13:00hrs & 13:30-17:30. Please note the exact times for your course booking.
- Each candidate will undertake a practical ladder & steps safety training assessment. Candidates are required to score 100% to achieve a pass.
- Candidates should be at least 16 years old to undertake this qualification.
- It is recommended that candidates have at least level 1 literacy to undertake this qualification within the course duration.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details. There is no minimum for a private course.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and where applicable by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor. Should you have more than 12 candidates that need to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present to comply with this restriction.
- This Ladder and Step ladder User Safety Training course is available to candidates throughout the UK.
- The course can be delivered in other countries, however, candidates should be aware that the content was developed in accordance with current UK practice.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Why not arrange to have a private courses run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
Ladder and Step ladder User Safety Training Joining instructions:
- All candidates are to bring their own:
- clean hi-viz
- hard hat (not bump cap)
- work gloves
- steel toe-capped safety footwear
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- Where your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions including the venue address.