First Aid at Work Course (face2face)
Employers have legal duties towards their colleagues when it comes to first aid. Our First Aid at Work course, run as a face to face course, provides you with the knowledge & skills required to be a workplace first aider in a higher risk environment.
Course syllabus includes:
- Understanding the role of the first-aider, including reference to:
- the importance of preventing cross infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- use of available equipment
- Assessing the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Recognise & administer first aid to a casualty who is/has;
- unresponsive & breathing normally
- unresponsive & not breathing normally
- wounded and bleeding
- injuries to eyes, bones, muscles, joints & chest
- suspected head or spinal injuries
- small cuts, grazes and bruises
- small splinters
- minor burns and scalds
- bites & stings
- sudden poisoning
- having a heart attack, seizure or a stroke
- suffering anaphylactic shock
- suffering medical shock
- electric shock
- suffering the effects of extreme heat or cold
There are two options available for the first aid at work course. Ultimately there is no difference in the validity of either, but some people prefer to choose one other the other. You will see the same presentation, be assessed on the same practical skills & to the same degree, but sit different multiple choice exam papers at the end of the course.
- Certified by Chris Garland Training:
- This is the default option.
- PDF format certificates are issued as standard, but paper certificates can be requested as well.
- Your certificate is valid for 3 years.
- Certified by the Ofqual Regulated Awarding Organisation:
- If you’d prefer this option, please select this option when making your booking above.
- Paper certificate & credit card sized plastic certificates are issued.
- Your certificate is valid for 3 years.
- The HSE state that for the course to be valid, your course must be a minimum of 18 hours in duration. This includes the time allowed for the assessments and exam, but does not include for any coffee breaks.
- Generally we run these courses from 9.30am until 5pm.
- Whether certified by Chris Garland Training or the Ofqual Regulated Awarding Organisation that we use, the assessments are the basically the same. Each candidate undertakes a multiple-choice question paper & practical assessment.
- Multiple-Choice Question paper:
- You need to score a minimum of 70% correct answers to achieve a pass.
- Practical observation:
- You’ll need to demonstrate giving first aid as you would in an emergency situation, such as providing CPR on the floor. You need to score 100% to achieve a pass.
- You’ll need to be able to demonstrate first aid procedures as you would in a real activity environment. This includes providing CPR to a casualty who is on the floor. So you must be physically capable of doing this to pass the course.
- We recommend that you have a reasonable understanding of English & maths (e.g. GCSE grade C/Level 2) before undertaking this course. This is not mandatory – please contact us to discuss any reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs.
- The course is suitable for anyone over 16 looking to undertake the responsibilities associated with being a nominated first aider. The course can also be undertaken by candidates between 14 & 16 years old, but they shouldn’t be relied upon by employers to be a sole, nominated first aider.
- All classroom courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and (where applicable) by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor.
- Should you have more than 12 candidates to be trained, please contact us to discuss your training needs.
- This first aid at work course is available to candidates throughout the UK & abroad.
- We can deliver it in other countries, but the protocols that we teach meet the current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire. Visit our Joining Instructions page to read about what you will need to bring/wear, etc.
- Why not arrange to have a private face to face course run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- Where your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions including the venue address.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.