Security Dog First Aid Level 2 (VTQ)
Security Dog First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) is approved by NASDU (National Association of Security Dog Users), for the requirement of pet first aid in their standards.
Pet first aid is important to know for your security dog as it will not only comply with associations and local authorities but it is also important for animal welfare and to help should you come across a dog in need. The nature of working dogs means that there is a risk that they might be harmed in the course of their work or during transport. It
This course has been designed to meet the NASDU learning outcomes and we have added a few extra modules to ensure full understanding. This qualification is also endorsed by TQUK to give an extra level of approval. If you require an endorsed certificate there is an additional small charge.
Run via ProTrainings UK, the content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines and as such, it comes with a Certified CPD Statement as well as a ProTrainings Certificate and for online courses an Evidence-Based Learning statement.
Course syllabus includes:
- Introduction to Security Dog First Aid
- When is Veterinary Care Required
- Keeping your pet safe in an emergency
- Car Accidents
- Checking a Dog health
- Taking a Pulse
- Taking the Temperature
- Gum Colour
- Loss of Appetite
- First Aid Kits and Equipment
- Dog Muzzles
- CPR, Accidents and First Aid
- Pet CPR
- Drowning and Treatment
- Near and secondary drowning
- Pet fractures treatment
- Spinal injury and moving an injured pet
- Medical Conditions
- Dressings, bandages and controlling bleeding
- Paw Problems
- Nail and Claw Injuries
- Eye problems
- Pets and tourniquets
- High Temperatures and Heatstroke
- Hypothermia Treatment
- Seizures and Epilepsy
- The Older Dog
- Brachycephalic dogs
- Fireworks and thunderstorms
- Record Keeping with Security Dogs
- and much more!
Security Dog First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) Certificate:
- Security Dog First Aid Level 2 (VTQ)
- Your certificate is valid for 3 years & is nationally recognised.
- Your course will be a minimum of 7 hours in duration. This includes the time allowed for the assessments and exam, but does not include time for any coffee breaks.
- This course runs from 9.30 am until 5.30 pm.
Security Dog First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) Test:
- Each candidate undertakes a multiple-choice question paper & practical assessment.
- Multiple-Choice Question paper:
- You need to score a minimum of 70% correct answers to achieve a pass.
- Practical observation:
- You’ll need to demonstrate giving first aid as you would in an emergency situation, such as providing CPR on the floor. You need to score 100% to achieve a pass.
- You’ll need to be able to demonstrate first aid procedures as you would in a real activity environment. This includes providing CPR to a dog on the floor. So you must be physically capable of doing this to pass the course.
- We recommend that you have a reasonable understanding of English & maths (e.g. GCSE grade C/Level 2) before undertaking this course. This is not mandatory – please contact us to discuss any reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs.
- The course is suitable for anyone over 14 looking to undertake the responsibilities associated with being a pet first aider.
Security Dog First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) Candidates:
- All classroom courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and (where applicable) by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor.
- Should you have more than 12 candidates to be trained, please contact us to discuss your training needs.
- This security dog first aid course is available to candidates throughout the UK & abroad.
- We can deliver it in other countries, but the protocols that we teach meet the current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire. Visit our Joining Instructions page to read about what you will need to bring/wear, etc.
- Why not arrange to have a private face to face course run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- If your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions, including the venue address.
Security Dog First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) Private courses:
- The Security Dog First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) is an open course. You can arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, start by completing our Quote Builder tool. The tool will automatically generate a quote for your selected private courses.