Ligature Training + Annual Skills Update for First Aiders
Lockdown has seen a surge in requests for anti ligature training. Our highly practical, face to face course covers ligature awareness training, ligature risk assessments, and how to use multiple different types of ligature cutters.
The course then moves on to cover basic life support first aid training including how to protect the cervical spine, the use of CPR & automatic/automated external defibrillators (AED). This means that you’re then able to provide effective first aid until professional help can take over.
As the majority of those undertaking this course already hold a in-date first aid certificate, we cover the full syllabus of the first aid annual skills update course. Thereby allowing employers to comply with the recommendations of the Health & Safety executive, while providing candidates with two certificates rather than just one,
The course is aimed at those working in environments where incidents involving ligatures are a foreseeable risk. So if you’re ever faced with a ligature incident, the training will enable you to act safely and decisively.
Course syllabus includes:
- Facts, Figures & Definitions
- Understanding Asphyxiation and Strangulation
- Anatomy and Physiology of the neck
- Signs and symptoms of ligature injuries
- Ligature Risk Assessment
- Ligature cutting tools – Types, use & hands-on use
- Managing ligature incident involving a suspended and unsuspended casualty
- Practical – Cutting a ligature using appropriate tool
- Spinal injuries
- Basic Life Support (BLS);
- Primary Survey
- Recovery position
- Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation
- Use of an AED/Defib
- Actions to be taken following an incident & incident report forms
- Face to Face training (maximum of 12 learners to 1 instructor).
- This course is certified by Chris Garland Training.
- 5 hours, including breaks
- Typically this course will run from 9.30am-3.30pm
- You will undertake a practical assessment as part of this anti ligature training course. You need to score 100% to achieve a pass.
- During the practical observation you will be required to demonstrate how to act in an emergency situation. This includes;
- dynamic risk assessment for ligature awareness,
- being able to use the ligature cutting tools successfully,
- being able to work on the floor providing CPR & using a defibrillator.
- All course candidates must be over 18 years old to undertake the ligature removal training course due to the topics covered in the syllabus.
- We recommend that you have a reasonable understanding of English & maths (e.g. GCSE grade D-G/Level 1) before undertaking this course. This is not mandatory – please contact us to discuss any reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs.
- All of our courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We limit numbers to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor. Any more and you just wouldn’t get sufficient time to learn and practice your new skills.
- Private courses: If you have fewer than 4, or more than 12 candidates to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course.
- This anti ligature training course is available to candidates across the UK. We can deliver the course in other countries, but the protocols that we teach meet the current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- Scheduled ligature awareness courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Why not arrange to have a private courses run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.
During the course, candidates will get to practice using the following types of ligature cutters;
- Medical shears
- The “Shark” or “Big Fish” style of rescue knife
- The Barrington folding bladed rescue hooked knife
- MAC Coltellerie TS01
- MAC Coltellerie TS05
- Cable cutters
- Typical EN388 Cut level 5 gloves for use with the hooked bladed knives