QNUK Level 3 Award for First Responders (RQF)
The QNUK Level 3 Award for First Responders (RQF) is the first of a suite of courses designed to meet the Pre-hospital Emergency Medicine (PHEM) skills framework competencies at descriptor level C or above.
We are proud to be affiliated to Qualifications Network UK & we only offer Ofqual accredited courses through QNUK.
Our colleagues, within other QNUK affiliated training centres across the country, believe that the release of this course has raised the benchmark in comparison to the equivalent courses. So we are immensely proud to be able to offer this qualification to you.
The course fulfils the competencies set out in the Pre-hospital Emergency Medicine (PHEM) skills framework at descriptor level C, meaning that you can book this course with total confidence.
The QNUK Level 3 Award for First Responders course is accepted as covering all learning outcomes and assessment criteria contained within the Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work qualification. As such this qualification exceeds the HSE’s standard requirements for those acting as a workplace first aider. It also covers a number of additional training needs that are often identified in ‘higher risk’ working environments.
Additionally, the QNUK Level 3 Award for First Responders (RQF) course meets the requirements of the Security Industry Authority (SIA) for licensing Purposes.
Course syllabus includes:
- Roles and responsibilities of a first responder
- Infection control
- Safeguarding of adults & children
- Outlining common signs of abuse
- Actions to be taken by the first responder where abuse is suspected
- Mental health conditions commonly encountered by the first responder
- Your own mental & physical health
- Capabilities of the emergency services
- Effective communication with emergency services & colleagues
- Scene management
- Patient assessment
- Medical emergencies including:
- Heart attack
- Poisons including opioid overdose
- Manual handling of patients including the use of available equipment
- Airway management including jaw thrust, NP/OP/iGel, suction devices & BVM.
- Unresponsive casualties who are breathing normally or not
- Differing heart rhythms & how to treat them
- Adult, child and infant CPR & AED usage
- Emergency supplementary oxygen administration
- Traumatic injuries
- Catastrophic bleeding
- External and internal bleeding
- Environmental exposure
- Burns, scalds & eye injuries
- Fractures, dislocations & soft tissue injuries
- Chest injuries & related conditions including:
- Tension pneumothorax
- Paradoxical breathing
- Spinal injuries
- Helmet removal
- Cervical collars and pelvic splints
- Head injuries
- Minor injuries
- Incident reporting
- Face to Face training (maximum of 8 learners to 1 instructor).
- QNUK Level 3 Award for First Responders (RQF) (Click here for qualification specification)
- Your certificate will be valid for 3 years. A4 sized paper certificate & credit card sized plastic certificates are issued.
- Minimum of 24 hours of guided learning. This equates to 4 days of training.
- There are 6 hours of self-directed study to be undertaken making a Total Qualification Time of 30 hours.
- 09:00-17:00 over each of the four days.
- Please ensure that you arrive a minimum of 15 minutes before the scheduled course start time.
- Each candidate will undertake a multiple-choice question paper & practical assessment.
- Multiple-Choice Question Paper: The exam is 2 hours long & you’ll need to score a minimum of 80% correct answers to achieve a pass.
- Practical observation: You will be required to demonstrate your capabilities as a first aider as you would do in an emergency situation. Therefore you’ll need to be able to work in a range of environments, including on the floor; for example during CPR. Candidates are required to score 100% to achieve a pass.
- The Level 3 Award for First Responders qualification is aimed at those over 18.
- Due to the language of the assessment, it is recommended that learners have sufficient command of the English language in order to understand the assessment and to undertake the recommended assessment methods.
- Due to the nature of this qualification, learners should be physically capable of undertaking practical assessments in a range of environments. This includes providing CPR to a casualty who is on the floor. So you must be physically capable of doing this to pass the course.
- There are no other pre-requisites for this qualification.
- All learners are required to complete the assessment criteria in a manner appropriate to the purpose of the qualification.
- The prescribed assessment methods for this qualification should not unfairly disadvantage learners, who would otherwise be able to demonstrate competence in the assessment criteria and in line with the purpose of the qualification.
- If you feel the assessment methods above would disadvantage you please contact your centre to discuss reasonable adjustment.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 8 candidates per instructor. Should you have more than 8 candidates that need to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where by negotiation, we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present to comply with this restriction.
- This qualification is available to candidates in the UK.
- The qualification can be delivered in other countries however candidates should be aware that the content was developed in accordance with current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Why not arrange to have a private courses run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- Where your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions including the venue address.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.