Level 2 Award in Nutritional Awareness & Menu Planning (Catering) E-Learning
Written by a PhD Nutritional Specialist, advisor and author, this accredited Level 2 Nutritional Awareness & Menu Planning course is applicable to all those involved in the planning or preparation of food for service in the UK.
The award aims to provide candidates with an awareness of what constitutes appropriate well-balanced nutrition, and includes approaches to developing and planning healthier meals in a professional catering environment. Relevant settings include pubs, restaurants, takeaways, cafes, delis, service stations, mobile and street food vendors, festivals, markets, workplace caterers, hospitals, schools, care homes, prisons and other institutions, fitness and nutrition specialists, gyms and all other catering settings serving food to the general public. This unit is also appropriate for those working in health and social care and education sectors and those tasked with the promotion of food products and services to all age groups.
This flexible online video-based course follows the approved UK Nutritional Awareness (Healthier eating & special diets) syllabus, and is filmed on-location in a commercial kitchen setting.
Fully accredited by QUALIFI, an OFQUAL regulated UK Awarding Organisation, this course provides an in-depth understanding of a range of threats to the Health & Safety of childcare workers and young children and babies in their care. Includes basic risk assessment and how to minimise threat to safety.
Nutritional Awareness and Menu Planning Course syllabus includes:
- Introduction to Nutrition, important terms and definitions.
- Fluids – The importance of fluids, defining dehydration, fluids & energy.
- Energy – Requirements for energy for a range of age groups.
- Carbohydrates & Fibre – The roles of carbohydrates and fibre in the body.
- Protein – Introduction, human protein requirements, proteins in foods, vegetarians & vegans.
- Fats – Visible and invisible fats, different types of fat, Omega 3 fats.
- Micronutrients, Vitamins & Minerals – Vitamins A, B, C & D, minerals, Iron, Calcium, Zinc.
- Providing a balanced diet – The Eatwell Guide, meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein, milk and dairy foods.
- Allergies and intolerances – legal considerations, 14 named allergens, Coeliac Disease, HACCP.
- Service considerations for different age, religious or special dietary requirements.
Nutritional Awareness and Menu Planning Certificate:
- Level 2 Award in Nutritional Awareness & Menu Planning (Catering).
- PDF format certificates are issued as standard, as soon as you complete the course.
- This course takes the average learner around 8 hours to complete.
- This Level 2 Award in Nutritional Awareness & Menu Planning (Catering) is tested online & you’ll need to gain a minimum of 83% to pass.
- You will undertake a multiple choice exam at the end of the course with short tests throughout to help cement your learning.
- We recommend that you have a reasonable understanding of English & maths (e.g. GCSE grade C/Level 2) before undertaking this course.
- Purchase a place for yourself, or purchase a bundle for your colleagues.
- The Level 2 Award in Nutritional Awareness & Menu Planning (Catering) course is available to candidates in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- The course can be delivered in other countries however candidates should be aware that the content was developed in accordance with current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- This workplace health & safety course can be run on any electronic device, but we recommend that a laptop/desktop is used to ensure that you can see the screen clearly.
Nutritional Awareness and Menu Planning Course Joining instructions:
- Shortly after you purchase your place on the course, we will email you your login details for the course.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions including everything you need to know about our e-learning courses.