Level 2 Award in Food Allergy Awareness E-Learning
This Ofqual accredited allergen awareness course is for all catering staff, being designed to comply with the new EU legislation law which came into force in December 2014.
Allergies occur when the body’s immune system reacts to a usually harmless substance as though it is harmful. Why this happens, isn’t clear. However, most sufferers come from families that have a history of allergies, or related problems. Every year, the number of people with allergies is increasing so having an awareness of potential allergens and why they can be harmful is becoming more important, particularly if you work in the service industry.
This course covers general allergies, food allergies and food intolerances and explains the differences between them. It covers the 14 allergens controlled by legislation along with food additives and how they can trigger allergic reactions. It takes a detailed look at the symptoms of food allergies and takes in the wider picture discussing the current theories of why rates are increasing. It includes covering practical steps that can be taken to reduce the risk from allergens and also what steps can be taken both internally and externally to monitor the control measures.
Course syllabus includes:
This accredited course covers the nationally approved syllabus for Level 2 Food Allergen Awareness. It includes the following content highlights:
- Latest allergenic ingredient law and updates
- Common mistakes when working with allergenic ingredients
- Defining food allergies, food intolerances, and Coeliac Disease
- 14 food allergens named in legislation, and the dangers of hidden ingredients
- How to create a simple system to manage the use of allergenic ingredients
- How to design allergy-aware recipes and ingredient fact sheets for customers and staff
- How to make your premises allergy-ready including suppliers, delivery, cooking and more
- Identifying allergenic attacks and emergency First Aid and EpiPen use
- Level 2 Award in Food Allergy Awareness E-Learning
- PDF format certificates are issued as standard, as soon as you complete the course.
- This allergen awareness course will take the average learner around 2 hours to complete.
- This allergen awareness course is tested online & you’ll need to gain a minimum of 70% to pass.
- You will undertake a multiple choice exam at the end of the course with short tests throughout to help cement your learning.
- We recommend that you have a reasonable understanding of English & maths (e.g. GCSE grade C/Level 2) before undertaking this course.
- Purchase a place for yourself, or purchase a bundle for your colleagues.
- This allergen awareness qualification is available to candidates in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- The qualification can be delivered in other countries however candidates should be aware that the content was developed in accordance with current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- This course can be run on any electronic device, but we recommend that a laptop/desktop is used to ensure that you can see the screen clearly.
- Shortly after you purchase your place on the course, we will email you your login details for the course.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions including everything you need to know about our e-learning courses.