Introduction to Autism Awareness
This Introduction to Autism Awareness course will provide you with an understanding of what autism is and how it affects a child’s daily life.
Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with and relates to other people around them. According to the National Autistic Society, autism affects about 700,000 people in the United Kingdom, which equates to 1 in 100 of the population. The number of children being diagnosed with the condition is continuing to increase.
The course looks at what factors contribute towards a child developing autism as well as some of the typical behaviours associated with it. It covers how you can provide effective support for those with the condition. It also discusses what happens during the diagnosis process, some of the intervention methods that can help manage the condition. Suggestions are also made for some simple adaptations you can make to improve a child with autism’s day to day life.
This course is ideal for people working in adult and child care environments. It’s also prefect for those working in all areas of care may come into contact with people who has Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Although the course focuses on children with autism, having an awareness of the condition and how best to provide support to someone with ASD will be of use to anyone who interacts with and cares for children and adults as part of their work.
Having a knowledge of the typical behaviours and challenges associated with ASD can equip you to identify these and act in a supportive way. CPD approval means that this course can be used by those that need to prove they are continually developing themselves.
There are a lot of courses in our health and social care suite that would make great follow ups to this course and if you are responsible for the care of adults or children then a wide range of them would provide valuable additions to your knowledge. Specific topics that compliment this directly are Introduction to Early Years Foundation Stage, Equality and Diversity and Mental Health Awareness.
Course syllabus includes:
- Definitions, Context & Background
- Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Testing and Support
Certificate in Introduction to Autism Awareness:
- PDF format certificates are issued as standard, as soon as you complete the course.
- The course includes around 30 minutes of video lead learning.
- This course is tested online & you’ll need to gain a minimum of 70% in each of the modules to pass.
- There are short tests throughout to help cement your learning.
- You will undertake a multiple choice exam at the end of the course.
- We recommend that you have a reasonable understanding of English & maths (e.g. GCSE grade D/Level 1) before undertaking this course.
- Purchase a place for yourself, or purchase a bundle for your colleagues.
- The Introduction to Autism Awareness course is available to candidates in the UK.
- The course can be delivered in other countries. Candidates should be aware that the content was developed in accordance with current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- The Introduction to Autism Awareness course can be run on any electronic device. We recommend that a laptop/desktop is used to ensure that you can see the screen clearly.
- Shortly after you purchase your place on the course, we will email you your login details for the course.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions including everything you need to know about our e-learning courses.