Full First Aid For Scouts and Guides
Our Full First Aid For Scouts and Guides course has been mapped to match the requirements of the first aid syllabuses set by both movements.
First Aid For Scouts and Guides Course syllabus includes:
- Principles of first aid and initial response (arriving and managing an incident)
- Initial response to a first aid situation
- Management of an unconscious casualty (child or adult)
- CPR, including technique for children and an explanation of what AED is and how to use it
- Causes and treatment of unconsciousness
- Heat exhaustion, heatstroke, dehydration and hypothermia
- Burns and scalds
- Fractures (ambulance imminent and non-imminent) and soft tissue injuries
- Minor injuries (for example cuts, grazes and nose bleeds)
- Anaphylaxis (use of Epi pen)
- Spinal injury
- Principles of first aid related to Girlguiding
- Emergency Life Support
- Life-threatening situations – identifying injuries and monitoring the condition
- Signs, symptoms and initial treatment for
- bone and muscle injuries
- skin injuries
- head injuries
- other ailments
First Aid For Scouts and Guides Certificate:
- In keeping with the Scout and Girlguides guidelines, your certificate is valid for 3 years.
- A4 sized pdf certificate is issued.
- The guidance is that this course should be run over a minimum of 14 hours with the instructor (e.g. 9am – 5.30pm allowing for breaks).
- Practical assessments throughout the course & knowledge test at the end.
First Aid For Scouts and Guides Course Pre-requisites:
- Attendees will be required to demonstrate first aid procedures as they would in a real activity environment. This includes providing CPR to a casualty who is on the floor, therefore you must be physically capable of doing so.
- It’s recommended that candidates have a minimum of GSCE D/Level 2 in literacy and numeracy before undertaking this course.
- The course is aimed at those over 18 who are looking to undertake the responsibilities associated with being a Scout or Girlguide first aider. The course can also be undertaken by candidates over 14 years old, but they mustn’t be relied upon to be the group/event first aider.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor for workplace first aid courses and we mirror this across all our courses. Should you have more than 12 candidates to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present for your course.
- The Scout & Girlguiding Full First Aid course is available to Scout & Girlguide candidates throughout the UK.
- The course can be delivered in other countries however the course content has been developed in accordance with current UK practice.
- We run this course from our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- If you’d like to have a private courses run at your groups venue, simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
First Aid For Scouts and Guides Course Joining instructions:
- To arrange a private First Aid For Scouts and Guides course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.