First Aid Update Course (Blended Learning)
This 3 hour First Aid Update Course covers the HSE’s required syllabus for first aiders annual skills update training. We also include anything else that learners want or need to cover to bring them up to date with the latest protocols (e.g. using tourniquets and defibrillators).
To start with, you will undertake a detailed 2 hour online e-learning course that will allow you to develop your first aid knowledge, understanding and competence in medical emergencies. The online element can be completed on any PC or mobile device & you can study at your own pace, and log in and out as often as you wish. There are questions for you to undertake self-checks after each section of the course and there’s an end of course multiple choice assessment as well.
When you’ve successfully completed the multiple choice assessment, you’ll be able to download your certificate as evidence that you’ve completed and passed the course. Please bring this with you when you attend the face to face session, where our instructor/assessor will run through your knowledge and take you through the practical assessment element of your course.
First Aid Update Course syllabus includes:
- Assessing the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Recognise & administer first aid to a casualty who is;
- unresponsive & breathing normally
- unresponsive & not breathing normally
- wounded and bleeding
- having a seizure
- suffering medical shock
First Aid Update Course Certificate:
- Valid for 12 months.
- 3 hours in total:
- 1 hours online learning
- 2 hours guided learning & practical assessment
- There are assessments throughout the online course & a practical assessment at your practice during the practical element of the course.
First Aid Update Course Pre-requisites:
- Attendees will be required to demonstrate first aid procedures as they would in a real activity environment. This includes providing CPR to a casualty who is on the floor, therefore you must be physically capable of doing so.
- It is recommended that candidates have a minimum of Level 2 literacy and numeracy or equivalent.
- The course is aimed at those over 16 who are looking to undertake the responsibilities associated with being a nominated first aider. The course can also be undertaken by candidates between 14 & 16 years old, but they shouldn’t be relied upon by employers to be a sole, nominated first aider.
First Aid Update Course Candidates:
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and where applicable by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor. Should you have more than 12 candidates that need to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where by negotiation, we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present to comply with this restriction.
- This course is available to candidates throughout the UK.
- The course can be delivered in other countries however the course content has been developed in accordance with current UK practice.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire. You can download the joining instructions using the link included in your booking receipt email.
- Why not arrange to have a private First Aid Update Course run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- To arrange a private First Aid Update Course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.