Emergency Outdoor First Aid Course
This 8 hour emergency outdoor first aid course provides the knowledge and skills for first aiders in low risk outdoor environments such as activity centres. This 1 day outdoor first aid course is prefect for those looking to venture into the outdoors, but who want (or need) to have a basic level of first aid training. Many National Governing Bodies regard the Emergency Outdoor First Aid course as being the minimum standard required for their instructors.
Course syllabus includes:
- Health & Safety legislation with regards to first aid
- Understanding the role & responsibility of the first-aider, including:
- managing incidents
- gathering & using available equipment
- the importance of preventing cross infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- Considering environmental factors in outdoor first aid
- First aid kits & their contents
- How to assess an emergency situation in order to act safely, promptly and effectively
- Recognising & administering first aid to a casualty who is/has;
- unresponsive & breathing normally (recovery position)
- unresponsive & not breathing normally (CPR & use of Defibrillator)
- modifications to CPR for those who’ve drowned, been caught in an avalanche or hit by lightning strike
- the difference between a heart attack and a cardiac arrest
- wounded and bleeding
- small cuts, grazes and bruises
- small splinters
- minor burns and scalds
- having a seizure
- suffering medical shock
- has been immersed in water
There are two options available for this emergency outdoor first aid course. Ultimately there is no difference in the validity of either, but some people prefer to choose one other the other. You will see the same 1 day outdoor first aid presentation, be assessed on the same practical skills & to the same degree, but sit different multiple choice exam papers at the end of the course.
- Certified by Chris Garland Training:
- This is the default option.
- PDF format certificates are issued as standard, but paper certificates can be requested as well.
- Your certificate is valid for 3 years.
- Certified by the Ofqual Regulated Awarding Organisation:
- If you’d prefer this option, please select this option when making your booking above.
- Paper certificate & credit card sized plastic certificates are issued.
- Your certificate is valid for 3 years
- 8 guided learning hours with a further 2 hours self study.
- As a guide, 09:00-18:30hrs when run over one day. Please note the exact times for your course booking.
- Whether certified by Chris Garland Training or the Ofqual Regulated Awarding Organisation that we use, the assessments for the emergency outdoor first aid course are the basically the same. Each candidate undertakes a multiple-choice question paper & practical assessment.
- Multiple-Choice Question paper:
- You need to score a minimum of 70% correct answers to achieve a pass.
- Practical observation:
- You’ll need to demonstrate giving first aid as you would in an emergency situation, such as providing CPR on the floor. You need to score 100% to achieve a pass.
- Attendees will be required to demonstrate first aid procedures as they would in a real activity environment. This includes providing CPR to a casualty who is on the floor, therefore you must be physically capable of doing so.
- It is recommended that candidates have a minimum of Level 2 literacy and numeracy or equivalent.
- The 1 day outdoor first aid course is aimed at those over 16 who are looking to undertake the responsibilities associated with being a nominated first aider. The course can also be undertaken by candidates between 14 & 16 years old, but they shouldn’t be relied upon by employers to be a sole, nominated first aider.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and where applicable by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor. Should you have more than 12 candidates that need to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where by negotiation, we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present to comply with this restriction.
- This emergency outdoor first aid course is available to candidates throughout the UK.
- The course can be delivered in other countries however the course content has been developed in accordance with current UK practice.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire. Visit our Joining Instructions page to read about what you will need to bring/wear, etc.
- Why not arrange to have a private face to face course run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.