Emergency First Aid for Sport
Our Ofqual accredited Emergency First Aid for Sport course is for those providing first aid in a sporting context. Typical course candidates include PE teachers & sports coaches. Gaining this qualification indicates that you can be relied upon to undertake the role of emergency first aider, as outlined in the Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
Following successful completion of the course and assessments, you will receive the following Ofqual regulated course certificate which is valid for 3 years:
- QNUK Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid for Sport (RQF)
You will also be able to apply for the following certificate in addition*;
- QNUK Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (RQF)
Course syllabus includes:
- Understanding the role of the first-aider, including reference to:
- the importance of preventing cross infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- use of available equipment
- safeguarding children (and others at risk) while administering first aid
- pitch-side concussion assessments & return to play decisions
- Assessing the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Recognise & administer first aid to an adult or child casualty who is/has;
- unresponsive & breathing normally
- unresponsive & not breathing normally, including those who have drowned
- wounded and bleeding
- injuries to bones, muscles & joints
- suspected head or spinal injuries
- small cuts, grazes and bruises
- small splinters
- minor burns and scalds
- having a seizure
- suffering medical shock
- What is concussion & how does it affect us?
- Concussion guidance protocols & pitch-side assessment
- Graduated return to play protocols for adults
- Graduated return to school & play protocols for children
- Valid for 3 years. A4 sized paper certificate & credit card sized plastic certificates are issued.
- The guidance is that this course should be run over a minimum of 8 hours with the instructor, with a further 1 hour of self-study. We feel that there is a lot to learn during the 8 hours, so we also offer this as a two day course for those who want greater face-to-face training.
- Practical assessments throughout the course & multiple choice test at the end.
- Attendees will be required to demonstrate first aid procedures as they would in a real activity environment. This includes providing CPR to a casualty who is on the floor, therefore you must be physically capable of doing so.
- It is recommended that candidates have a minimum of Level 2 literacy and numeracy or equivalent.
- The course is aimed at those over 16 who are looking to undertake the responsibilities associated with being a nominated first aider. The course can also be undertaken by candidates between 14 & 16 years old, but they shouldn’t be relied upon by employers to be a sole, nominated first aider.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and where applicable by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor. Should you have more than 12 candidates that need to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where by negotiation, we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present to comply with this restriction.
- This course is available to candidates throughout the UK.
- The course can be delivered in other countries however the course content has been developed in accordance with current UK practice.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Why not arrange to have a private courses run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- Where your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions including the venue address.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.