Emergency First Aid for Rugby
Accepted by England Rugby, our Emergency First Aid for Rugby course provides you with the knowledge & skills required to be a first aider for your local Rugby club. After successfully completing the course and assessments, you’ll receive your course certificate issued by Chris Garland Training, which is valid for 3 years
We’ve based our bespoke course on the national standard Emergency First Aid at Work course, adding all required additional elements to meet the requirements of England Rugby. This means that we can arrange for you to undertake the assessment* for the Ofqual regulated EFAW course as well. This will lead you to receive the certificate in;
- QNUK Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (RQF)
Course syllabus includes:
- Health & Safety legislation with regards to first aid
- Understanding the role & responsibility of the first-aider, including:
- managing incidents
- gathering & using available equipment
- the importance of preventing cross infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- First aid kits & their contents
- How to assess an emergency situation in order to act safely, promptly and effectively
- Recognising & administering first aid to a casualty who is/has;
- unresponsive & breathing normally (recovery position)
- unresponsive & not breathing normally (CPR & use of Defibrillator)
- the difference between a heart attack and a cardiac arrest
- wounded and bleeding
- small cuts, grazes and bruises
- small splinters
- minor burns and scalds
- having a seizure
- suffering medical shock
- What is concussion & how does it affect us?
- Second Impact Syndrome
- Concussion guidance protocols & pitch-side assessment
- Graduated return to play protocols for adults
- Graduated return to school & play protocols for children
- Post-Concussion Syndrome
- You will receive an A4 paper Emergency First Aid for Rugby certificate issued by Chris Garland Training.
- If you have chosen to undertake the Ofqual accredited Emergency First Aid at Work course as well, you will receive an A4 sized paper certificate and a plastic wallet card.
- Guided learning = 6 hours.
- Self-study = 1 hour.
- Practical assessments throughout the course & multiple choice test at the end.
- You’ll need to be able to demonstrate first aid procedures as though in a real-life environment. This includes demonstrating CPR on a mannequin that’s on the floor. You must be physically capable of doing this to complete the course.
- The course is aimed at those over 16 who are looking to undertake the responsibilities associated with being a nominated first aider. The course can also be undertaken by candidates between 14 & 16 years old, but they shouldn’t be relied upon by employers to be a sole, nominated first aider.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and where applicable by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor. Should you have more than 12 candidates that need to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where by negotiation, we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present to comply with this restriction.
- This qualification is available to candidates across the UK. The Qualification can be delivered in other countries but the protocols taught in the course meet current UK guidelines & may be different from those in your country.
- We run open courses at our training room in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Private course bookings at your club house are available by prior agreement. Contact us to discuss your private course booking.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- Where your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions including the venue address.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.