Chaperoning In Primary Care
This online Chaperoning In Primary Care course has been designed for non-clinical staff, such as GP receptionists, who may be required to act as a chaperone and need some formal training. The information in this course has been written in line with guidance from the General Medical Council, the Royal College of Nursing, The Medical Defence Union, The Medical Protection Society, the NHS and the CQC.
Expectations of chaperones are listed in the GMC guidance, which states chaperones should:
- Be sensitive and respect the patient’s dignity and confidentiality
- Reassure the patient if they show signs of distress or discomfort
- Be familiar with the procedures involved in a routine intimate examination
- Stay for the whole examination and be able to see what the doctor is doing, if practical
- Be prepared to raise concerns if they are concerned about the doctor’s behaviour or actions.
The Chaperoning In Primary Care E-Learning syllabus includes:
- Introduction to chaperoning
- What is meant by the term chaperone
- What is an ‘intimate examination’
- Guidance on using chaperones
- Why chaperones are important and need to be present
- When is a chaperone required?
- Chaperone duties
- The chaperone’s role
- Chaperoning and gender
- Special circumstances
- Suitable chaperones
- Communicating the chaperone policy
- The patient’s rights
- Verbal communication
- Non-verbal communication
- On successful completion of the course, you will be able to download your certificate.
- Valid for 1 year.
- A4 sized pdf certificates are issued shortly after you complete the course.
- The course has been approved by the CPD Accreditation Group and qualifies for 1 CPD point.
- Learn at your own pace, typically 1 hour.
- Knowledge checks after each section of the course and an end of course multiple choice assessment
- The Chaperoning In Primary Care course is available to candidates throughout the UK.
- This online Chaperoning In Primary Care course can be completed on any PC or mobile device.
- You can study at your own pace, and log in and out as often as you wish.
- Shortly after you purchase your place on the Chaperoning In Primary Care course, we will email you your login details for the course.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions including everything you need to know about our e-learning courses.