Canine First Aid Level 2 (VTQ)
Learning canine first aid is fun and informative and will give you the skills to provide first aid for dogs, should an emergency arise.
This qualification is similar to our Pet First Aid option but has been specifically designed to cover exclusive content relatable to applying first aid to a dog only. This means other types of animals will not be covered.
The Canine First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) qualification is aimed at anyone who requires a course in first aid for dogs. It is ideal for dog owners or dog professionals. Understanding basic first aid for your dog will give you the skills to assist them and prevent them from getting worse before your vet gives professional help.
This qualification is also endorsed by TQUK to give an extra level of approval. If you require an endorsed certificate there is an additional small charge.
Run via ProTrainings UK, the content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines and as such, it comes with a Certified CPD Statement as well as a ProTrainings Certificate and for online courses an Evidence-Based Learning statement.
Course syllabus includes:
- Introduction to canine first aid
- What is canine first aid and why do we need it
- The vet and your role in first aid
- When is veterinary care required
- Keeping your dog safe in an emergency
- Car accidents
- Dog-proofing your home
- How dogs show pain
- Checking the health of your dog
- Accidents and first aid
- Breathing and respiratory problems including choking
- Dog CPR
- Drowning and treatment
- Broken bones
- Spinal injury and moving an injured dog
- Medical conditions
- Controlling bleeding
- Dressings and bandages
- Paw problems
- Ears, eyes and mouth
- Bandaging ears & tails
- Digestive process
- Vomiting in animals
- Poisoning, bites and stings
- Burns and temperature problems
- Seizures and epilepsy
- Snake bites on dogs
- Insect Stings
- Different types and sizes of dogs
- The older dog
- Small dog care
- Puppies and young animals
- Summary of canine first aid
- Canine and fireworks
- Canine first aid kits
- Summary of canine first aid
Canine First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) Certificate:
- Canine First Aid Level 2 (VTQ)
- Your certificate is valid for 3 years & is nationally recognised.
- Your course will be a minimum of 3 hours in duration. This includes the time allowed for the assessments and exam, but does not include time for any coffee breaks.
- Please note the exact times of your course – these will be shown on your course booking receipt.
Canine First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) Test:
- Each candidate undertakes a multiple-choice question paper & practical assessment.
- Multiple-Choice Question paper:
- You need to score a minimum of 70% correct answers to achieve a pass.
- Practical observation:
- You’ll need to demonstrate giving first aid as you would in an emergency situation, such as providing CPR on the floor. You need to score 100% to achieve a pass.
- You’ll need to be able to demonstrate first aid procedures as you would in a real activity environment. This includes providing CPR to a dog on the floor. So you must be physically capable of doing this to pass the course.
- We recommend that you have a reasonable understanding of English & maths (e.g. GCSE grade C/Level 2) before undertaking this course. This is not mandatory – please contact us to discuss any reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs.
- The course is suitable for anyone over 14 looking to undertake the responsibilities associated with being a pet first aider.
Canine First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) Candidates:
- All classroom courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and (where applicable) by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor.
- Should you have more than 12 candidates to be trained, please contact us to discuss your training needs.
- This canine first aid course is available to candidates throughout the UK & abroad.
- We can deliver it in other countries, but the protocols that we teach meet the current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire. Visit our Joining Instructions page to read about what you will need to bring/wear, etc.
- Why not arrange to have a private face to face course run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- If your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions, including the venue address.
Canine First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) Private courses:
- The Canine First Aid Level 2 (VTQ) is an open course. You can arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, start by completing our Quote Builder tool. The tool will automatically generate a quote for your selected private courses.