BLS Annual Update For Primary Care (Blended Learning)
This BLS Annual Update For Primary Care course has been created specifically for clinical staff working in Primary Care settings including GP’s, nurses and all healthcare professionals involved in clinical care. The course will allow healthcare professionals working in Primary care to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in CPR/AED and medical emergencies, in line with CQC and Resuscitation Council (UK) guidelines.
To start with, you will undertake a 1.5 hour online e-learning course. The online element can be completed on any PC or mobile device & you can study at your own pace, and log in and out as often as you wish. There are questions for you to undertake self-checks after each section of the course and there’s an end of course multiple choice assessment as well. When you’ve successfully completed the multiple choice assessment, you’ll be able to download your certificate as evidence that you’ve completed and passed the course.
The practical side of the BLS Annual Update For Primary Care course is then undertaken, either at our training centre, or at your place of work. Our instructor/assessor will run through your knowledge and take you through the practical assessment element of your course.
This means that you can essentially keep your practice open, while colleagues undertake their practical assessments, one after the other.
BLS Annual Update For Primary Care Course syllabus includes:
- Conducting a primary survey of an adult, a child, an infant.
- Gaining consent from the conscious and unconscious casualty.
- Identifying when there is the need to commence CPR & demonstrate CPR for an adult, child & an infant casualty.
- Demonstrating the use of an Automated External Defibrillator on an adult, child & infant casualties.
- Ventricular fibrillation (VF) & pulseless ventricular tachycardia (pVT)
- 4 H’s & 4 T’s
- Oxygen saturations & use of pulse-oximetry.
- Sizing & inserting of oropharyngeal airway adjuncts.
- Selecting, assembling & demonstrating the use of Bag Valve Masks (BVM) on an adult, child & infant casualties.
- Demonstrating how to place an adult, child & an infant casualty into the recovery position.
- Identifying when choking is mild or severe & demonstrating how to administer first aid to a choking adult, child or infant casualty.
- Recognising & demonstrating how to administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from:
- hypovolaemic shock
- myocardial infarction
- The use of emergency equipment and drugs in line with Resuscitation Council (UK) and BNF guidelines
- The importance of teamwork in the ABCDE Approach to managing medical emergencies
- Planning ahead in order to minimise the risks of a medical emergency for individual patients
BLS Annual Update For Primary Care Certificate:
- Valid for 12 months.
- 3 hours in total:
- 1.5 hours online learning
- 1.5 hours guided learning & practical assessment
- There are assessments throughout the online course & a practical assessment at your workplace during the practical element of the course.
BLS Annual Update For Primary Care Course Pre-requisites:
- You’ll need to be physically capable of providing CPR to a mannequin on the floor & rolling someone into the recovery position.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: The BLS Annual Update For Primary Care course requires a minimum of 4 candidates per course. Should you have fewer to train, please contact us about a private course booking.
- Maximum: We limit the number of candidates that we can assess during the 1 hour practical session to 4, with a maximum through the day of 24 candidates.
- We offer this BLS Annual Update For Primary Care course to candidates across the UK.
- Please note that the protocols described in the course meet the current UK guidelines. These might not be acceptable outside the UK.
- We strongly recommend that the practical element of the course is held at your workplace. This allows your colleagues to train in the same environment as they would when providing these life saving skills. Simply contact us to arrange one at a mutually convenient date.
BLS Annual Update For Primary Care Joining instructions:
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions with regards to what you need to have with you for the practical element of the course.
- To arrange a private BLS Annual Update For Primary Care course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.
- Resuscitation Council UK: Quality standards