BLS Annual Update For Dentists (Blended Learning)
Our 3 hour BLS annual update for dentists (blended learning) course is the perfect way to help you and your practice colleagues comply with your annual CDP requirements, without closing the practice down for half a day! The General Dental Council (GDC) recommend that you do at least two hours of CPD in dealing with medical emergencies every year (& at least 10 hours in every CPD cycle).
To start with, you will undertake a detailed 2 hour online e-learning course that will allow all dental clinicians (including dentists, dental nurses and hygienists) to develop your professional knowledge, understanding and competence in medical emergencies, in line with your personal learning requirements. In itself, this will allow you to download a certificate which can be used as verifiable CPD in line with GDC Enhanced CPD guidelines.
Because of the level of detail included in the online element of this course, you may feel that some of your colleagues don’t require this level of information in their online training element of the course (e.g. non-clinicians). You may prefer to book them onto our First Aid Annual Skills Update (Blended Learning) course, and they can then undertake their practical assessment alongside the clinicians.
The online element can be completed on any PC or mobile device & you can study at your own pace, and log in and out as often as you wish. There are questions for you to undertake self-checks after each section of the course and there’s an end of course multiple choice assessment as well. When you’ve successfully completed the multiple choice assessment, you’ll be able to download your certificate as evidence that you’ve completed and passed the course. We then meet at your practice where our instructor/assessor will run through your knowledge and take you through the practical assessment element of your course.
This means that you can keep your practice open, while colleagues undertake their practical assessments, one after the other.
After successfully completing both the online & face to face elements of the BLS annual update for dentists (blended learning) course, you will receive a certificate issued by Chris Garland Training in compliance with the requirements of Schedule 1. 2(6)(a) & (b) of the GCD (CPD) Rules Order of Council 2017.
BLS Annual Update For Dentists Course syllabus includes:
- Conducting a primary survey of an adult, a child, an infant.
- Gaining consent from the conscious and unconscious casualty.
- Identifying when there is the need to commence CPR & demonstrate CPR for an adult, child & an infant casualty.
- Demonstrating the use of an Automated External Defibrillator on an adult, child & infant casualties.
- Ventricular fibrillation (VF) & pulseless ventricular tachycardia (pVT)
- 4 H’s & 4 T’s
- Oxygen saturations & use of pulse-oximetry.
- Sizing & inserting of oropharyngeal airway adjuncts.
- Selecting, assembling & demonstrating the use of Bag Valve Masks (BVM) on an adult, child & infant casualties.
- Demonstrating how to place an adult, child & an infant casualty into the recovery position.
- Identifying when choking is mild or severe & demonstrating how to administer first aid to a choking adult, child or infant casualty.
- Recognising & demonstrating how to administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from:
- hypovolaemic shock
- myocardial infarction
- The use of emergency equipment and drugs in line with Resuscitation Council (UK) and BNF guidelines
- The importance of teamwork in the ABCDE Approach to managing medical emergencies
- Planning ahead in order to minimise the risks of a medical emergency for individual patients
BLS Annual Update For Dentists Certificate:
- After successfully completing both the online & face to face elements of the BLS annual update for dentists (blended learning) course, you will receive a certificate issued by Chris Garland Training in compliance with the requirements of Schedule 1. 2(6)(a) & (b) of the GCD (CPD) Rules Order of Council 2017.
- Valid for 12 months.
- 3 hours in total:
- 2 hours online learning
- 1 hours guided learning & practical assessment
- There are assessments throughout the online course & a practical assessment at your practice during the practical element of the course.
- You’ll be required to demonstrate first aid procedures as you would in a real activity environment. This includes providing CPR to a mannequin on the floor & in a typical Dentists chair. Therefore you must be physically capable of doing this to attend the course.
- It is recommended that candidates have a minimum of Level 2 literacy and numeracy or equivalent.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We don’t have a minimum number of candidates for this course.
- Maximum: We limit the number of candidates that we can assess during the 1 hour practical session to 4, with a maximum through the day of 24 candidates.
- We offer this BLS annual update for dentists (blended learning) course to candidates across the UK.
- Please note that the protocols described in the course meet the current UK guidelines. These might not be acceptable outside the UK.
- We strongly recommend that the practical element of the BLS annual update for dentists (blended learning) course is held at your practice. This allows your colleagues to train in the same environment as they would when providing these life saving skills. Simply contact us to arrange one at a mutually convenient date.
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions with regards to what you need to have with you for the practical element of the course.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.
- Resuscitation Council UK: Primary dental care – Quality standards