Administration of Emergency Oxygen
This Administration of Emergency Oxygen qualification is aimed at those working in health care settings, who are required to handle or administer Oxygen as part of their role. This includes, but is not limited to;
- Pre-hospital care providers including Community first responders, Fire, Police and other Emergency Services personnel.
- First aiders operating in a high risk workplace such as:
- In welding, flame cutting and similar processes
- For helping people with breathing difficulties
- In hyperbaric chambers as a medical treatment
- For food preservation and packaging
- In steelworks and chemical plants
This is not a “licence to practice” qualification and employers should ensure they have full and rigorous Clinical Governance in place to be able to allow employees to administer medical gases.
Administration of Emergency Oxygen Course syllabus includes:
- How oxygen is used within the body
- CO2 retainer patients
- Legalities of using medical gases
- Emergency oxygen:
- Indications for the administration of oxygen in different emergency situations
- Contraindications that prohibit the administration of oxygen
- The use & limitations of pulse oximetry
- Precautions to be observed in relation to oxygen when handling, using & storing.
- Understand how to administer oxygen to a casualty
- Operational checks to be undertaken on oxygen therapy equipment prior to use
- The safe preparation of different administration devices for a casualty not in cardiac arrest
- The delivery of oxygen using a:
- bag valve mask
- pocket mask with oxygen port
- 100%, 28%, Simple face masks & Nasal cannulae
- Details that should be recorded in relation to the administration of oxygen
- Primary casualty assessment
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) using:
- Bag valve mask (B-V-M)
- There are two options available for this course;
- Administration of Emergency Oxygen, which is certified by Chris Garland Training, and
- QNUK Level 3 Award in Administering Emergency Oxygen (RQF), which is certified by QNUK who are an Ofqual regulated Awarding Organisation.
- Ultimately there is no difference in the validity of either, but some people prefer to choose one other the other. You will see the same presentation, be assessed on the same practical skills & to the same degree, but sit different multiple choice exam papers at the end of the course.
- Certified by Chris Garland Training:
- This is the default option.
- PDF format certificates are issued.
- Your certificate is valid for 1 year.
- Certified by the Ofqual Regulated Awarding Organisation:
- If you’d prefer this option, please select this option when making your booking above.
- Paper certificate are issued.
- Your certificate is valid for 1 year.
- This course is fully accredited by Ofqual & your certificate, which is valid for 1 year, will be issued by an Ofqual Regulated Awarding Organisation. You will receive an A4 sized paper certificate.
- 5 hours in total:
- 2 hours of pre courses self-study (see below)
- 3 guided learning hours with your instructor.
- Generally we run these courses from 9am until 12.30pm.
Administration of Emergency Oxygen Pre-Course Self-Study:
- IMPORTANT: You must undertake two hours of pre-course self study before attending the classroom section this course.
- Please ensure you watch all these videos fully as they will give you an excellent understanding of respiration.
- Please watch these videos in the following order:
- Respiratory System 1, Lungs, chest wall and diaphragm (15 mins)
- Respiratory System 2, Breathing and ventilation (10 mins)
- Respiratory System 3, Pleural membranes and breathing (15 mins)
- Respiratory System 4, Alveoli and gaseous exchange (15 mins)
- Cardiovascular System 4, Pulmonary circulation (10 mins)
- Spirogram and ventilation of the lungs (10 mins)
- Pulse Oximetry (20 mins)
- Understanding COPD (5 mins)
- Hypoxia and Cyanosis: How to react when oxygen levels are low (5 mins)
- Each candidate will sit a multiple choice exam paper and undertake a practical assessment.
- Multiple choice exam; You will need to score a minimum of 70% to achieve a pass.
- Practical assessments; You need a score of 100% to achieve a pass.
- You must have suitable first aid or medical qualifications. The minimum is a valid first aid at work qualification or 2-day Outdoor first aid qualification.
- You’ll need to be able to demonstrate the safe use of medical gasses as you would in real life. Therefore candidates will need to be able to work on the floor; for example as with CPR. You must be physically capable of doing this to pass the course.
- We recommend that you have a reasonable understanding of English & maths (e.g. GCSE grade C/Level 2) before undertaking this course. This is not mandatory – please contact us to discuss any reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs.
- You must be at least 18 years old to undertake this qualification.
- All courses have a minimum and maximum number of candidates that we can take on a course.
- Minimum: We need a minimum of 4 candidates booked on an open/scheduled course for the course to run. Click here for more details.
- Maximum: We are limited by the Health & Safety Executive, and where applicable by the Awarding Organisation, to a maximum of 12 candidates per instructor. Should you have more than 12 candidates that need to be trained, please contact us to arrange a private course, where by negotiation, we can arrange for a second instructor/assessor to be present to comply with this restriction.
- This qualification is available to candidates in England, Wales & Northern Ireland. We can deliver the course in other countries, but the protocols that we teach meet the current UK practice, protocols & guidance.
- Scheduled courses run at our training centre in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Why not arrange to have a private courses run at your workplace? Simply fill in our quote builder tool to request a quotation.
Administration of Emergency Oxygen Joining instructions:
- Visit this page to read the course joining instructions.
- Where your course is not being run at our main training centre, you’ll also receive an email with additional joining instructions including the venue address.
- To arrange a private course for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our Quote Builder tool.